Things to be Careful of when Choosing a DNA Testing Company:
In many countries, there are no requirements for licenses or special permission required for conducting DNA testing services. For this reason, the system for regulating DNA testing facilities is not maintained the same worldwide, and there are inexperienced companies that use incorrect testing methods and issue inaccurate results. How do you know which company you can trust?
It is important to choose a DNA testing facility that you can trust for your DNA tests for you and your family.
The following practices are signs of an untrustworthy company and should be avoided:
- On the test results, there is no understanding of POP(Probability of Paternity) or other basic genetic terminology
- DNA samples are sent to an unspecified testing facility overseas
- There is no description of the company president, testing methods or mention of numerical values
- The company’s website has no information regarding refunds or guarantees
- Their website has links to companies unrelated to the services offered
- They advertise technology developed 10 or more years previous as the ‘latest’ technology
Current State of DNA Testing Facilities
Nowadays most people have heard the phrase ‘DNA test’ thanks to media coverage in high-profile celebrity paternity cases.
Simply enter ‘DNA test’ into any search engine and more than a dozen companies instantly pop up, and anyone can place an order with just a phone call.
It is not as easy however to find a trustworthy company that can guarantee accurate results. Every year we receive multiple requests from clients that felt they could not trust the test results they received from another company, and wanted to have a re-test done with our laboratory. Unfortunately it is not so uncommon for the clients’ instincts to be right
Traits of a Trustworthy DNA Testing Facility
In order to avoid making the mistake of using an untrustworthy company, you should look for the following traits to be sure you are using a company that can be relied on.
- The testing facility and methods in place to prevent any mistakes are explained.
- Refunds, re-tests and guarantees are outlined
- The possible risks involved with a DNA test are explained online or when you call for a consultation
- They do not advertise 100% conclusive results (as 100% conclusive results are theoretically impossible)
- They have positive reviews or testimonials
It is possible to check the traits listed above when calling a laboratory for a consultation, or by reading their website. This can give you a good idea of how reliable a company is.
Although theoretically a 100% conclusive result is impossible, at seeDNA we have implemented various measures to avoid the possibility of mistakes and ensure highly accurate results.